L'aventure du Sucre - The Sugar Museum
L'aventure du Sucre - The Sugar Museum Package
- Guided Tour of the L'Aventure du Sucre Sugar Museum
- Visit of the factory and its decade-old machines
- Complete overview of the Story of Sugar in Mauritius
- Sugar and Rum tasting
09:00 to 17:00
1 hour 30 minutes
Conditions & Additional info
- This visit is suitable for any age.
- Mauritian ID card or Resident permit must be shown upon arrival.
About the L'aventure du Sucre (The Sugar Museum) Package
Rising above the green sugar cane fields, like a great ship at anchor, the old Beau Plan sugar mill with its long history is a true history-maker and teller.
Once lusted after as much as gold, sugar has enjoyed an extraordinary existence, leaving a profound impression on the history and identity of our island. By following the trail of the Sugar Adventure with over 250 years of history, you can trace the history of the whole country.
The visit of the L'aventure du Sucre adventure begins behind the facade of the factory building, with the’ life’ story of sugar, which has been the main product of our country for a long period. You will then visit the enormous factory, its decade-old machines decked with a thousand lights. A sugarcane hedge leads the way to the fully restored and converted sugar factory where films evoking the early years of Mauritius appear on giant screens.
The factory was used until the 1970s to transport sacks of sugar in the port. Today you can see how the docks used to be in those times and discover their importance to Mauritius.
The tour ends with a delightful sugar and rum tastings.
L'aventure du Sucre (The Sugar Museum) - Additional Info
Specially for children
In order for the children to understand the story of the sugar, the Sugar Adventure has chosen two “mascots”to tell children of the extraordinary story of sugar: two animals typical of the island, the mynah bird (martin) and the mongoose. These two mascots will guide the children all along the visit, offering entertaining questions and answers to be found under envelopes placed in various places in the museum and in the factory.
In addition to the visit to the museum, you can also enjoy visiting
- The Village Boutik- an opportunity to buy special sugars and the Mauritian rum, as well as gifts and souvenirs made by local craftsman.
- Restaurant Le Fangourin- Set amidst the garden of Beau Plan, Le Fangourin presents an exceptional and rare setting: a centuries-old vegetation, a pool surrounded by a tropical luxuriant flora, a veranda overlooking the central plateau range of mountains…here you can relish the perfect subtle cuisine.